Thursday, August 03, 2006

an exerpt from an email

I wrote this my friend H, just a few minutes ago. it was the most writing i've done since coming back from Chicago (second city rulez...the z at the end doesn't look right. That freaks me out...ok, rules. There, now I feel a little better, though there's a part of me that wants to correct the intentional misspelling. That's how NOT punk rock I am. Sorry Wilco.) So, here's the words, explaining some bands in a mixCD i made for her. See if you agree or disagree.

By the way, D-dawg, my boy in Chicago, is a funny mofo. I don't think I spent a whole weekend laughing...and I don't think I ever want to do that again. I'm still beat.

+++++

The song covered by the french dudes is "the Girl From the North Country." great song, great cover, all around awesome.

I don't know which albums you have or do not have, but you have to search for the actual cover songs (most are not on an album), so here it goes:

1. The postal service...the track "against the odds" was from a single ep, so you don't have to bother. if you get a chance, go on itunes and download the song "mushaboom" by the band Feist, the postal service remix. Its like a song that would fit on the postal service album. Please, at least tell me you got postal service.

2. Gnarls Barkley. Gone daddy gone is on the album You should get the album "St. Elsewhere" since its all over the radio, and you should hear the other stuff before you get sick of "Crazy," which is the hit single that's burning up the charts. The album has three to four excellent tracks, including one of the best songs about suicide that i've ever heard.

3. The Magic Numbers: If you like hippy music, classic rock with a great indie twist, get the magic numbers, their self titled debut album. not really my cup of tea, but a great cover. they have a single called "lost forever." if you want to check out the video before plunking down the money for the cd (they were one of the highly touted brit bands that was supposed to solve all the problems of rock), then check it out on youtube. click here for a direct link.

4.Matthew Sweet/Susanna Hoffs, they have a great covers album called Under the Covers, vol. 1. The album is a return to sugar sweet pop music. You know the kind, with crunchy bar chords and yummy pop melodies. Good stuff for sun sunny days.

5. Petra Haden. she did a cover album of "THE WHO SELL OUT," all a cappella. thats some undertaking. i haven't heard it, but it was critically acclaimed. I've been waiting to try to scoop it up on limewire, but unfortunately, like me, not many have it. too bad. she has a great pop sensibility and a nice voice. I agree with your hubby, no y-chromosomer should be allow to sing God only knows.

6. Ted Leo and the Pharmacists. They were my obsession two years ago. Jangly chords, a shriek of a voice. Awesome song construction, good vocals, neat indie pop rock music. I'd try out a few singles before plunking down a whole album commitment. Try the following songs "Timorous Me," "Where have all the rude boys gone?" or "the ballad of the sin eater." I really liked it, but then again, i don't perceive to know others musical tastes (why dont' more people like the divine comedy? #scratching head#)

7. If you haven't got the new Fiona Apple album, do it immediately. its absolutely fantastic. if you want the cover song, you have to buy the pleasantville soundtrack (or download it from illegal sites, like me)

8. For the frenchies, the two albums are good intros to French Pop/Rock: Jean Jacque Goldman "En Passant" and Francis Cabrel "Hors-Saison." For myself, i'd stick with Francis Cabrel...he's more dylan-esque

ALright, that's enough of this...there's alot of bands to share...i kind of kicked myself when i settled on the covers album, rather than just making a mix of everythign i was jonesing for.

you know, my musical tastes have shifted since the harvey/hales project days, eh?

No comments: