Friday, January 05, 2007

Best of 2007

So, I planned on continuing the best of 2006, but I've lost interest. Yes, yet another "to be continued" cliffhanger without resolution. Call me a tease, you rabid savages.

So, here's the best of 2007, based on the past five days.
  • Best cookies: ELV made some excellent oatmeal raisin cookies, which made me think about the following question; what's the greatest flavor of cookie ever created? I've always been particular to straight peanut butter cookies. The soft cookie with an excellent chewy consistency flooding one's taste buds with nuttiness, with a nice cold glass of milk (or in my case, rice dream) equals a simply glorious taste experience. Yet, how can we forget the magnitude of a chocolate chip cookie? How about those Thin Mints? What about freakin' Nilla Wafers?
  • Best viewing of a movie that I should I watched years ago: "Platoon" by that freaked out savant Oliver Stone. I think it is quite precient to watch Vietnam War-set movies, given our current quagmire in Iraq. This film is an excellent archtypical jaded war movie, though not as insane as "Full Metal Jacket." Excellent performances by Charlie Sheen, Tom Berenger, and William Dafoe makes for a moving film about the savagry of warfare.
  • Best reason to have nine bucks in your pocket: Sofi's Crepes at 1723 Charles St. in Baltimore serves excellent crepes. Though not as delicious as a crepe from a street side vendor in Paris after a full day of walking around the Left Bank, Sofi's makes a mean crepe this side of the Atlantic. Try the ham, gruyere, and mustard savory crepe, or do like ELV and get the sugar lemon or banana avec nutella sweet crepe. Read a City Paper review here.
  • Best sporting event viewed on TV (the last 20 minutes): Tostitoes Fiesta Bowl. Did you see this game? I mean, Boise State comes back from losing the lead in the fourth quarter by hitting a hook and ladder play, then goes for two in overtime. The modified Statue of Liberty play, with the amazing pump fake that fooled the Oklahoma defense as well as the TV cameras followed by a behind the back handoff. It was fantastic. Simply awesome.
  • Best strange saying during a governmental swear-in: I'm addicted to C-Span and the deuce, C-Span 2. Watching Nancy Pelosi's swearing in as Speaker of the House, I was struck by one of her statements about the rise of women embodied by Pelosi's position of power: "But as a woman, I'm very, very thrilled because I carry a special responsibility. I've broken the "marble ceiling." Ok, I know, glass ceiling...and there's marble in the House building (I think) but wouldn't she have made the same sentiment saying glass ceiling? It seems a bit odd to use marble ceiling. Am I nitpicking?
Ok, I'm off to AC for Mikey Freeze's birthday. Here's to hoping that I don't lose too much.

No comments: