Friday, January 12, 2007

Some Great Music Sites

If you're like me, you scour the internet for music. Sure, I buy the occasional album, but since I've been out of undergrad, I've had a hard time find the bands. Thank goodness for the "long tail," which allows for even fringe independent outfits to find their potential audience. Here are some of the best purveyors of tasty songs that might hook you onto your next favorite band.

As you know, I've been a long time fan of My Old Kentucky Blog. The guy is quite good getting the indie bands before they blow up. Warning, though, because the blog has become a bit more promotional, as he's got a Sirius blog radio show.

If you've used the Music Blog Aggregator, then this is old news. Unfortunately, I didn't know about it until fairly recently. Type in song title, or band name, and if there's been any mp3 posted by the title in any music blog, you'll get it. Especially good if you're looking for new music. I cross reference the College Music Journal charts to keep my finger on the pulse of what's new.

As a fan of concert bootlegs, I've looked all around the web searching for Sufjan Stevens concerts or Death Cab for Cutie shows. A great site is rbally, who posts full sets of concert mp3s...what's more, the mp3s are usually soundboard recordings, meaning superior quality compared to those audience tapings. I've downloaded Jimi Hendrix, Neil Young, Cat Powers, Wilco, and R.E.M. concerts thus far...there's no limit to the concert experience from this site. Thanks rbally!

Another great concert archive, but that's not all. The Internet Archive features some great quality concerts (I grabbed the Tenacious D show that I attended, as well as an excellent Death Cab show), although some of the concerts are not mp3 and will require other software to play or convert. Additionally, the internet archive features audio books, poetry readings, radio programs, software, and texts. This is a great site.

Enjoy! Grab them mp3s and aurally enhance your computer time!

No comments: