Friday, February 02, 2007

Hodge-Podge

***This is a unfunny, three cups of coffee, writing without any purpose entry...read at your own risk.***

Thinking about a post...what to write on a dreary day when all I want to do it nap it out. So, I think about writing another one of those annoying random facts posts. So, on the post page, I type the word(s) hodge-podge in the subject when I'm struck with one of those random questions that can be the source of a wasted day: what was the origin of the word hodge-podge?

We all have those questions that tangentially pops up in our mind...one minute we're walking down the street, minding our own business, when we sense some stimuli that prompts a question about the nature of our world. For instance, when there is freezing rain, why does a brick sidewalk ice over at higher ambient temperatures compared to sidewalks made of concrete? I had this question as I carefully navigated the brick sidewalk outside my apartment this morning. Also from the above mentioned walk, the huge excrement pike on the sidewalk next to my street, was it deposited by a very large dog or a non-discrete human? Could have been either...

Anyway, you get the picture. There are those "I wonder" or "How does..." questions that can wiggle through your mind as you conjecture on the possible answers. Luckily, the internet, especially wikipedia, has made it easier to get the straight dope about those trivial questions (sorry Cecil Adams, I need my answers tout suite).

So, here's the 411 on hodge-podge (from wikipedia): Hodge-podge or hotchpotch or hotch pot is an English expression often used negatively, denoting a "mixture" or "medley" of things. According to the Concise Oxford Dictionary it is derived from the Middle English word hochepot and it is a: "Dish of many mixed ingredients, especially mutton broth with vegetables. This meaning of the word can still be found in the Dutch word "hutspot" (a dish of mashed potatoes with carrots and onions). In law it means a blending of properties (of intestate parents) for the purpose of securing equal division".

First off, I think I shall be saying hotch pot from now on. Say it out loud, with a harsh British accent, the hard consonants give it a fuddier, duddier atmosphere. HOTCH POT!

Second, have you ever used the term, or heard the term used, negatively? I can understand a bemoaning of the hutspot placed before you, your palate craving a nice lamb shank or a tender Wellington. The soot covered face of a disappointed husband bellowing out, "what's all this then? Another hodge-podge?" However, in America, when the word has been used, I think its more judgement neutral, without any positive or negative connotation.

Third, I think its funny that there's such a thing as the concise Oxford English Dictionary.

Lastly, a common corollary to the random question...the answer often times serves up another question. In this case, what the heck is intestate? Using my biological knowledge, I guess that it had something to do with the guts. Turns out that intestacy is something about estate laws and death. You can check out the full definition on wikipedia, but basically its the whole thing about doling out estate and assets when no will is present.

More interesting, for someone of such sophomoric humor, the testator is someone who by-passes intestacy by writing a will. They even have a female will maker word...testatrix.

Testatrix.

Please, someone, write something funny about this word so that I can justify the fact that I'm giggling to myself about it.

Digging even deeper, there are a slew of words that are odd or funny in inheritance law:
  • THE SLAYER RULE: a doctrine that prohibits inheritance by a person who murders someone from whom they stand to inherit. There's a list of many lines written about the slayer rule.
  • HOLOGRAPHIC WILL: at first, I got kinda excited, imagining holographic images of a person speaking their final thoughts, much like Ernest Borgenine in "Baseketball," except instead of VHS or DVD, its in life like, futuristic triple D. It actually means a will that's hand written.
  • CODICIL: a replacement will, but doesn't it sound like a drug used to treat some made up illness, like chronic social expression disorder, or restless ulnar fatigue. Codicil should not be used while operating.
Enough. I was thinking of ways to extend this blog...since I'm on wills, I could talk about Good Will Hunting, George Will's love of baseball, anything having to do with Anna Nicole Smith, wondering if Will Smith is ever going to go back to rapping again, or pondering if someone posted a blog featuring a last will and testament, would that be admissible in court? Would that be legally binding?

You see?!! Random questions, they pop up all the time, if you let them. Stop them before they consume you by watching the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie! You know I'm talking to you, beantown.


No comments: