Friday, May 16, 2008

Sports Update

The UEFA Cup Championship is between Manchester United and Chelsea. I just saw a preview for it on the "telly" watching Sportscenter. I wish I had some crisps and a nice cuppa.

What is the ratings expectation for that soccer match in the US? Can it be beaten by a regular season NBA telecast? Could it be beaten by the attendance at a Florida Marlins home game?
-----
Is the alley-oop really the most exciting play in basketball? What's more exciting, a three pointer or a slam dunk? Could you objectively list the relative "best play" between different sports? Take away personal fandom (personally, I could give a flying mullet about hockey), but there seems to be an extra athleticism involved in an acrobatic catch in the outfield of a baseball game compared a lucky shot from half court or (YAWN) an alley oop. The Chris Paul to Tyson Chandler alley oop, which has happened in every single Spurs Hornets game this round of the interminable NBA playoff season, is great, but is it really a top play if it is a routine play?
-----
Does a team deserve a second look because of player composition? Explaining...I hate the Boston Celtics. I hated the Kevin McHale, Larry Bird, Robert Parish era of Celtic Nation during the epic Lakers rivalry years. I just hated the smugness of the players and the ridiculous loutishness of Celtic fans. You can see the same kind of fandom in current Patriots fans. I can't extend that hatred to Red Sox fans because they were extremely long suffering (I love you too, Cubs fans). However, the current Celtics aren't Celtics, really. KG and Jesus Shuttleworth are from somewhere else. So's Cassell, who'll always be a T-wolf to me. Paul Pierce got so much crap from Celtic fans that I really root for him, just because I want to hear C's fans extol the virtue of Pierce after bashing him during those Antoine Walker duo years.

Come on, the Celtics coach is Doc Rivers, who will always be remembered by me as an Atlanta Hawk, which has repercussions of failure and general suckiness that extend far beyond one's playing days. Other than Hank Aaron, has any retired Atlanta sports star done well in the public eye? Where have you gone, Dale Murphy? Why do you still sound like an idiot, Prime Time? 'Nique ain't nothing now, is he?

Win or lose, these Celtics aren't home grown C's...or home loved C's. They're a collection of people who I think are emblems of other towns. Like the Yankees of the 2000's, these Celts aren't locked to the region. They're just a super group, like Damn Yankees, and that's it.
-----
Who was better, Luc Longley or Kurt Rambis?
-----
I'm sorry for not posting any images, but I don't feel like scrolling using the Blogger tool. Why not allow for cut paste options. Hold on, let's try:

Nope, doesn't work.

That's enough, later.

No comments: