Thursday, May 18, 2006

And they asked for more music...

Here's another brief summary of music that seems to rattle around in my head like stubborn pool water in the ear canal. Hop up and down, its all for naught:
  • Mos Def: You know that Blackstar album? Remember how good the flow was from Mr. Def and his cohort, Talib Kweli? Well, I've always had a profound enjoyment of Def's vocal stylings; he effectively utilizes the lower register of his bass as he rips through some damn good lyrics. Some favorites, for some reason, "Ooooh! no limit to what I would do /
    Make love to you like long interview" or "Not strong, only aggressive, cause the power aint directed / Thats why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive." Anyway, listening to Black on Both Sides as well as liberal dose of Blackstar.
  • Tegan and Sara So Jealous : Not bad, like a modern variation of Indigo Girls. Sure, they're angsty girls, but they write such good pop songs and they have some semblance of harmony. Definitely not Amy Ray and Emily during their primes, but decent. Highlight track for me: "I Know I Know I Know."
  • The Sea and Cake Oui : You know, this is another old album, but I can't decide whether I like this album because its laid back and good background music, or if I should hate it for being so pleasant as to fade to the background. Would you consider music to be "great" if it is so unremarkable as to fall behind into the setting of your consciousness? Think of this: all those TV shows ending with the latest pop track that is chomping at the bit to become a tie-in hit, one of the problems is that sometimes these songs distract from the scene that is unfolding before our eyes. Sure, the song failed as far as part of the visual composition, but maybe you're distracted because its a damn good song. Sometimes, songs are just perfect, and that perfection shines on the scene (see Life Aquatic's use of Sigur Ros). However, most of the time, music on these shows/movies fall to the background because that is their role...to provide a sonic background to the action kinetically blossuming before our eyes. Thus, my contention is that pleasant music that you have on while you are balancing your checkbook is not "great" or even "good," rather it should be considered merely digestible. So, my assessment of Sea and Cake: its like a cut from a light, fluffy pastry which shines with lemon zest and delicate sweetness.
  • Michael Stipe In the Sun : a song sung with Chris Martin and/or Joseph Arthur, as well as four other versions of the same song with contributions from James Iha, Justin Timberlake, and will.i.am. For a good cause (hurricane relief), but hearing this song reminded me that Stipe is really obsessed with the sun (or lack there of). I mean, I know, its one of the easiest symbols to use for metaphoric purposes, but come on, "Around the Sun," or waking up ("The Wake Up Bomb" "Daysleeper"), or shiny ("Shiny Happy People")...you know, upon reviewing Allmusic.com, R.E.M. doesn't have too many song titles with sunlight. However, as a longtime fan, I know that the lyrics are rife with mentions of the heavenly orb...thus, I have no point, and will move on. Now.
A friend of mine is really into Juana Molina, and you can check out some of here songs here.
Really chill, pretty good. But then again, see review of Sea and Cake.

No comments: