Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Chicken of the Gods

Once upon a time, I lived in Jackson, Mississippi. Why is not the reason I bring up the decaying city in the middle of the burning. In Jackson, I had the greatest fried chicken ever at a small restaurant called Two Sisters' Kitchen. Since then, I have been searching for a facsimile of the crispy, juicy staple of southern cuisine that would be ever so palatable. Literally, I had a craving in the pit of my stomach for some quality chicken every 2 months or so. To ease the craving, I started scoping out any and every chicken joint in search of good fried chicken.

Don't eat the following chicken:
  • Popeye's (salty coating attempts to mask the weak, slightly bitter meat; even more depressing is their treatment of biscuits...not fluffy, but rather a butter brick, handy for greasing up the axle as your journey to Oregon)
  • Church's (simply retched)
  • Royal Farms (tastes like Hungry Man dinner fried chicken: by the way, if you are jonesing, Hungry Man fried chicken is satisfying like masterbating to a Sears Bra Advert as your erotic inspiration = perfunctory and sad)
  • Kennedy Fried Chicken on Greenmount (yucky oil...change the oil, fry man, because poultry fried in pomade would taste more appetizing)
  • Pat's Fried Chicken located somewhere between Baltimore and Lexington, KY (I have never seen such pitifully small chicken piece coated with so much batter: fluffy cat dunked in water is what I pictured as I bit in)
  • Shoney's in Greensboro, NC (Don't go to Shoney's)
  • Hardee's in Miami (Hardee + fried chicken = gurgling evacuation of your lower intestines; and it tastes like air dried chicken meat coated with salted sand paper with a nice corn oil drizzle for presentation)
  • Mayflower Seafood Restaurant in Greensboro, NC (Cod flavored chicken)
  • Place in Seattle Washington with frou-frou name (Never disrespect fried chicken with fancy coating using rice flour with a garnish of avocado, bonito, and zest sauce. It tasted like a Japanese guy threw up after a NASCAR event in my mouth
Other establishments are passable substitutions for quality chicken. You will never beat homemade chicken that comes from the hands and hearts of cooks who have had many years of experience. Many restaurants do not try to trick you into thinking that this is absolutely fantastic chicken; rather, its satisfying when you are craving: KFC, Charles' Southern Chicken in NYC, Cluck-U in Baltimore.

In certain southern states, such as North Carolina, the fast food establishment Bojangles is a worthy stop. Excellently flavored chicken, awesome sweet tea, and supreme biscuits for a fast food place. So, since Two Sisters, my favorite chicken moments have been supplied by Bojangles (Boberry Bisquits are the prohibitive favorites for best explanation for my severely clogged arteries).

However, I'm glad to say that I have found the best chicken I have had in years. Tonight, I had Pollo Campero chicken.

More to come...have to rest my chicken filled belly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. How are those arteries doing?

Anonymous said...

"decaying city in the middle of the burning"

Apt.

Word to yo mutha,
David