Monday, July 17, 2006

Eavesdropping at Restaurants

************************************************
(Girl, mid-teens, talking to her mother at a New York style deli)
Mother: Well, what do you want here?
Girl: I don't EVEN know.
Mother: They're famous for their corned beef here.
Girl: Ewwww.
Mother: Well, what DO you want?
Girl: I guess I want something like roast beef with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, but only if they're the sour kind, cause the sweet kind makes me gag. I also want some cheese on it. Whatever. I don't care.
Mother: What kind of cheese?
Girl: I don't know, something regular. I can't care.
Mother: Regular?
Girl: You know, something like at Arby's.
Mother: Cheddar?
Girl: Yeah, or American, cause I don't like the bitter cheese. Whatever.
Mother: You want mayonaise?
Girl: Eww, no way. I HATE mayonaise. Gross. I don't care.
Mother: Alright.
Girl: Ooo, and get me something to drink.
Mother: What?
Girl: Something diet. Like diet Pepsi. Whatever. I don't care.
Mother: Alright.
Girl: Oh, and Mom, can I get some fries?

************************************************
(Timothy Dean Bistro, in downtown Baltimore, two mothers talking at a four top, their husbands busy discussing golf.)

Mom1: So, isn't David going to college this fall?
Mom2: Yeah, he's going, we finished most of his paperwork to live at a tower.
Mom1: He's living off-campus?
Mom2: No, there's some rule about freshmen. At least I know he's going to be in one of the more exclusive on-campus buildings.

(later in the conversation)
Mom2: He's there now, with his girlfriend.
Mom1: Wow, all the way out there.
Mom2: God only knows. I mean, I'm paying for him to be out there, but I didn't pay for him to have THOSE problems.

(even later)
Mom2: This place has great food, but its similar to that place we ate at in Disneyworld.
************************************************

No comments: