Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Another old one: written for Valentines Day.

(What was wrong with me?)

People love chopping wood. In this

activity one immediately sees results.

—Albert Einstein

Dear Readers,

A friend of mine was bemoaning

the demise of his relationship at

lunch. Saying that she couldn’t

handle the barrage of neuroticism

that seemed to govern his emotions,

the girlfriend had distanced

herself, claiming a need for time

to regain her sanity and her zenful

outlook on life. “I can change,”

my friend heartfully declared as

his demeanor veered dangerously

between that of a lover purposefully

in pursuit and of a masochistic

addict denied his candy, manifesting

in a waiting room shake.

Watching him flip between hope

and paroxysms brought a quote to

mind: “My initial response was to

sue her for defamation of character,

but then I realized that I had

no character.”

How true, Sir Charles. My friend is

insane, I concluded to myself, returning

to my neglected tuna sandwich.

He tripped on and as his

narrative unfolded, questions arose

from the heartbreak ether; had he

already been touched in the head,

or was it the fault of love? Was

this girlfriend, a woman who I had

witnessed act in manners both full

of adoration and contempt, simply

a pit stop on the raceway of selfloathing

or a succubus spitting out

an emptied nutshell onto the unswept

sawdust floor? Did the end

have to be this terrible? My empathy

laid on the table, as useful as a

magnifying glass to a blind man,

when it hit me…what about me?

Of course you must understand,

intrepid readers, that when I

walked into work that snowy morning,

the biology building was the

solace I was seeking from the worries

that I had stuffed in my mind.

The bills mounting, the engine of

my car failing, and the social life

of a salty slug dying trampled

around my consciousness, robbing

me of sleep. Not to mention,

friends, there were experiments

that called out “do me,” as the lab

meeting loomed like a terrible

storm cloud shaped like my advisor’s

scowling face. Haggard and

head-ached, I got up and decided

that work was the answer. I will

be the fearless ant, thoughtless

except for the task at hand.

What wonders I performed that

morning! A Baryshnikov of biology,

the enthralled crowd would cry.

Yes, my friends, I pirouetted between

pipetting and pouring protein

gels. I painted the chalkboard

with theories and sweet succulent

progress. Oh, how the pantheon

would have been so proud. Galileo,

I am your step-child in heat!

Bach, can you hear this symphony

of exploration? Joyce, you will

sleep in the bosom of my scientific

Dublin! Onward ho!

But hunger and heartache shadowed

my enquiring mind, and now

this. I give the requisite answers

to his imploding heart. I share his

pain, attempt to comfort, knowing

full well my time serves no purpose

but to allow him to stretch out the

pain amongst many parts, dissecting

away until there is nothing left

but memories and empty spaces.

My advice was as good as a handmade

sandwich to a begging wino.

Yes, I know I am being harsh, timid

reader, for what good is a friend to

whom you cannot unburden yourself?

Who else can one rely on?

This world is cold and feeble, with

only the arms of those who care to

hold you up. Will my arms not

break? I have been frigid too long.

Remember, love makes us crystallize

into a caricature. A woman,

work, worries, and even a tuna

sandwich on rye with mustard,

they will all force us to shed the

artifice of ourselves to come to the

core of existence. So enjoy Valentine’s;

find yourself wrapped in

gauzy pink ribbon and in scent of

Hershey kisses, for then we will

meet on the other side, to see

clearly what we have become.

No comments: