Thursday, May 03, 2007

Bit Torrent

Through the magic that is known as the internet, I've been able to listen to many different genres of music that would have been unavailable to me. However, I'm usually stuck to listening to the tracks making the rounds on the blogs or the hot albums that friends send to me.

I've often found that I want to check out more music from a specific artist, but the main roadblocks to checking out a band's discography are the constraints of money, time, and/or bandwidth. Who has time to look for those hard-to-find albums or who wants to spend money on downloads/physical albums that you really don't know if you'll like?

Thus, bit torrent. Yes. Thank you very much.

I've been able to get a hold of the complete discography of disparate artists from Bob Dylan to James Brown, Elvis Costello to Cornelius, and...most excitingly...They Might Be Giants.

I've known their quirky, nerd glorious hit songs that were the rage of the college rock stations in the late 90's. Yet, did you know that they were a Devo-ish band when they first started? Did you know they got jokey after Flood and really sucked? Did you ever listen to their exceptional EP's such as Indestructible Object? Neither did I.

I'm listening to the first album and it isn't bad. It is quite different from "Flood," the album we're most familiar with...

Now, I'm not saying that I'm going to be listening to this album tomorrow...but the real reason for this review is...bit torrent rocks! Hooray one-click downloads of an artist's complete work!

No comments: