Monday, October 09, 2006

The Decemberists: The Crane Wife


A song by song review as I listen to it...right now!!! (by the way, welcome back to the weary snow show-er)

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife

1. The Crane Wife 3: For an opener, its tight. Gentler than the Infanta. A rumbling folk song that's surprisingly concise and...the last 30 seconds feel like a Who song. The lead into the next track is great, very 70's prog rock.
2. The Island: Neat, very much like the Tain EP, broken up into three parts (Come and See/Landlord's Daughter/You'll Not Feel the Drowning), I'm surprised that the song isn't MORE preciously backward gazing. Geez, this is a long song. The first part where Meloy sings ("Come and See"), good, so far, no accordian...I'm getting some strong hints of R.E.M.. Right at the middle of the song, 6:13, no transition into The Landlord's Daughter...very much like ELP/prog rock stuff...wow, a cacaphony. Murder, intrigue...but the song is full and crisp. Neato...its like pirates finding a synthesizer on a rollicking sail through a proggy tidal wave...classical guitar and organ for the final part for last two minutes...very much an ole English folk song..."Go to sleep, little ugly...you'll not feel the drowning." As a whole, an intriguing second track. I'm exhausted now, though.
3. Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then): a poppy duet with someone named Laura Veirs. Yeah, poppy. Its a pretty little ditty. I have a feeling this song will annoy some of you like "Sporting Life" or "July, July."
4. O Valencia!: you know, remover the curious stories behind the lyrics, and Maloy's vocal affectations, and alot of the songs are just pop ditties; this song is something out of Morrissey's solo discography. Yawn.
5. The Perfect Crime #2: Yeah...this is something new. Funky, a different bounce and feel...almost a baroque disco...Ok, I've got it, this song is a mixture of everything going on with rock music right now, executed by the Decemberists. You've got the Killers/NY sound mixed with the Brazilian Girls/Scissor Sisters dance music getting all mashed up with Maloy giving a surprisingly energy-less delivery. Sounds almost weary. I'm intrigued.
6. When the War Came: huh, its like a Tool/Perfect Circle sound...I don't know if I can take anymore of this album...I've been more of a fan of the "Eli the Barrowboy" or "Red Right Ankle" perfections, and this is like Tool mixed with U2. I don't like this song. I know some people who would love this song. I'm fast forwarding.
7. Shankill Butcher: soft, like a hot towel for my face after getting slapped around by track 6. Like a track from Her Majesty. Yup, standard Decemberists song. Like a familiar friend.
8. Summersong: Huh? Is this Edie Brickell? What's that song? "What I am is what you are is what I am..." HAHAHAHA, it is that song, except not! This sucks! What a crappy song.
9. The Crane Wife 1&2: Another 11 minute song. Sigh. Wait...ok, here we are, half way through, in the first part of the song, and this is a great song. The jerky delivery of Maloy's voice has been toned down. This song is great. The buildup is worth it. Again, almost exactly half way through (5:40) different song, softer...didn't like the transition...kind of slow after a great buildup in part 1...the end of part 2 is a nice Polyphonic Spree bit. Not bad.
10. Sons & Daughters: A decent little folk pop ditty. Not bad for a closer.
Extra Track: After the Bombs: A reprise.

Ok. After one listen...I can already tell that I don't like this as much as Picaresque, but for a major label debut, still appeals to the reason why you liked the Decemberists. On the whole, I think it is a stronger album, though I think the previous albums have had stronger individual songs. Neat to see them developing.

Grade: B+

(Going to Built To Spill tonight at 9:30 Club, yeehaw!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope this one doens't take as long for me to get into as Picaresque has ... I still haven't heard every track (though I heard some new-to-me ones while I was getting my haircut yesterday, so my intrigue is renewed).