Sunday, October 08, 2006

The One Outer Limits

Here's a scene from the 1-2 No Limit table I was sitting.

I've got pocket aces. Preflop, I throw in a raise of 15 and get two callers. I've got the worst position, with the guy at the button having prime position. The flop comes 7-8-A with no flush possibility. I throw in a bet of 25, the next guy folds, and the button guy calls. The turn comes 8, at which point I throw in 60. Guy raises 60, at which I put him on an 8. I go all in at this point, another 160 dollars. He looks at me, says, "you've got pocket aces, don't you." I don't answer. He thinks of a long time, says, "I don't think you've got it, but even if you do, I've got outs."

Sure enough, he's got an 8. An 8-5 suited. Now get this.

He hits the one out-er...beating me with quad 8s.

There are many reasons why this bad beat plagues me. Did I not raise enough at the flop? Should I have raised more at the turn? Should I have folded aces-full...of course not. This is an example of a poor play by a worse players, but it confirms something I've been joking about for years: I've got horrible luck.

No comments: