Friday, March 03, 2006

First Post: Palak Paneer, Poker, and the Patter of Paws

and so it begins...



Turns out this evening will end just like many of my recent Friday nights. Details of my Friday events will not be posted, as boredom would consume anyone who happens into this poor man's plog. Why was web log shortened to blog? Why not we-be-log, or the Job-ian i-log? Random thought, has anyone ingested a Stuckey's Pecan Log and not experienced a nostalgic sense of triumph? Not because of the sugary taste-explosion, but rather, in a "I just spat in the faces of all health experts by eating that" act. Not that I had one recently, but anything anti-medical rationale is groovy with me.




So, tonight, had some Indian food with the virtuous and upright ELV (all names initialized for maximal confidentiality, or IFMC). Two things to note from this seemingly unimportant event, both becoming maxims for me to live by.

1. Palak paneer, that staple North Indian dish, is delicious with rice and na'an. Palak paneer is incredible when consumed with rice, na'an, and Yuengling while watching the Big Lebowski with ELV. Palak paneer becomes down-right life changing if consumed after having salted kipper snack for lunch. StandardChuck maxim #46: Never eat salted kipper snack.

2. We purchased a bottle of Pinot Grigio from a local merchant, the Schnapps Shop. StandarcChuck maxim #7: Do not purchase wine from any place that sells exclusively wines priced under $15. The fluid, judging from one sip, smelled faintly of sour cabbage juice and tasted like something squeezed from an old wet sponge used to clean a spill of Olive Garden house white wine. A complex flavor, yes, but you should not be able to detect a hint of peat in a wine.




Played some online poker. First of all, is it O.K. to be simulateously excited playing in a hand and also bored out of one's mind? I don't know why I play. I don't win enough to make it worth my while, and it hasn't been much fun. Perhaps the utterly-hubristic human drive of greed has enveloped me and now my mind has released the hormone of disgust to break me of this cutthroat time waster. From now on, I'll stick to watching Phil Ivey looking intensely bored on ESPN.

Finally (this inaugural post is too darn long), I have to mention the surgical procedure that Cantankerous Vauxy Cat (CVC) had her woman-surgery today. Heeding the sermon of Bob Barker, Vauxy is now less of a woman, and yet holds her tail up proudly, despite a shorn belly.

No comments: